Hiker rescued by helicopter after fall in Zion National Park
Ed Timms, MCT
SPRINGDALE, Washington County — A hiker stranded overnight after breaking his ankle in a fall in a slot canyon at Zion National Park was rescued by helicopter Sunday.
The 38-year-old man was taken by ambulance to an area hospital, park spokeswoman Aly Baltrus said. He fell Saturday during the first rappel in the Left Fork of North Creek, a popular canyoneering route also known as the Subway.
The 911 call came in about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, but Baltrus said a flash flood warning forced rescuers, including park rangers and Washington County law enforcement, to hunker down near the top of the canyon until after 10 p.m.
Once the injured hiker was located about 10:45 p.m., rescuers stabilized him and decided to stay with him overnight because of his condition, Baltrus said.
Tackling the seven- to nine-hour route that requires navigating past boulders and obstacles and swimming in cold water on a day when storms were forecast not only put the hiker at risk, but also the rescue crew, she said.
"Luckily, the person wasn't hurt worse," Baltrus said. "But when you go into a slot canyon with a probability of flooding and a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms, we can't send our rescue crews immediately right after you."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Charges: Layton man told ex-girlfriend...
- Missing Hurricane driver found hours after crash
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon... 12
- Inmate charged with sending threatening... 10
- City wants judge to force Susan Hunt to... 9
- Key witness in criminal cases against... 8
- Police seek alleged drug money from... 8
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to... 8
- Judge sends ex-bus driver to prison for... 5