Utah football: Utes fall to Oregon State in overtime heartbreaker, 51-48
After having its lead cut to 34-31, Oregon State answered with a 20-yard field goal by Romaine. The Beavers moved into scoring position by converting on a fourth-and-1 situation with a pitch to running back Terron Ward, a lateral back to Mannion, and a 48-yard completion to Cooks.
Down 37-31, Utah’s initial comeback bid was stymied by Nelson. He picked off Wilson for the second time on the Utes’ first play following the kickoff.
The outcome, though, was far from decided. More back-and-forth play followed before the game was complete.
Wilson and Phillips gave Utah its first lead with 4:25 to go. Wilson ran 25 yards for a touchdown and Phillips added the PAT to give the Utes a 38-37 edge.
Things continued to be favorable for the Utes when Oregon State got the ball. They pinned the Beavers in a fourth-and-9 situation on their own 22.
Mannion, though, completed a 13-yard pass to Mullaney for a first down to keep the drive alive. An 18-yard touchdown toss to Cooks and a successful two-point conversion eventually put the Beavers back on top at 45-38 with 2:29 remaining.
Nope. The Utes forced overtime when Wilson and Phillips tied the score at 45-45 with 21 seconds left in regulation. A 9-yard run by Wilson preceded the extra point by Phillips.
"That was a great college football game. It is unfortunate somebody had to lose, especially that it had to be us," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "I am proud of my kids. They were warriors tonight and hung in there for 60 minutes. We just came up one play short."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @DirkFacer, Contributing: Amy Donaldson
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26