Utah football: Utes fall to Oregon State in overtime heartbreaker, 51-48
After having its lead cut to 34-31, Oregon State answered with a 20-yard field goal by Romaine. The Beavers moved into scoring position by converting on a fourth-and-1 situation with a pitch to running back Terron Ward, a lateral back to Mannion, and a 48-yard completion to Cooks.
Down 37-31, Utah’s initial comeback bid was stymied by Nelson. He picked off Wilson for the second time on the Utes’ first play following the kickoff.
The outcome, though, was far from decided. More back-and-forth play followed before the game was complete.
Wilson and Phillips gave Utah its first lead with 4:25 to go. Wilson ran 25 yards for a touchdown and Phillips added the PAT to give the Utes a 38-37 edge.
Things continued to be favorable for the Utes when Oregon State got the ball. They pinned the Beavers in a fourth-and-9 situation on their own 22.
Mannion, though, completed a 13-yard pass to Mullaney for a first down to keep the drive alive. An 18-yard touchdown toss to Cooks and a successful two-point conversion eventually put the Beavers back on top at 45-38 with 2:29 remaining.
Nope. The Utes forced overtime when Wilson and Phillips tied the score at 45-45 with 21 seconds left in regulation. A 9-yard run by Wilson preceded the extra point by Phillips.
"That was a great college football game. It is unfortunate somebody had to lose, especially that it had to be us," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "I am proud of my kids. They were warriors tonight and hung in there for 60 minutes. We just came up one play short."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @DirkFacer, Contributing: Amy Donaldson
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 93
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 39
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 17