Utah football: Utes fall to Oregon State in overtime heartbreaker, 51-48
After having its lead cut to 34-31, Oregon State answered with a 20-yard field goal by Romaine. The Beavers moved into scoring position by converting on a fourth-and-1 situation with a pitch to running back Terron Ward, a lateral back to Mannion, and a 48-yard completion to Cooks.
Down 37-31, Utah’s initial comeback bid was stymied by Nelson. He picked off Wilson for the second time on the Utes’ first play following the kickoff.
The outcome, though, was far from decided. More back-and-forth play followed before the game was complete.
Wilson and Phillips gave Utah its first lead with 4:25 to go. Wilson ran 25 yards for a touchdown and Phillips added the PAT to give the Utes a 38-37 edge.
Things continued to be favorable for the Utes when Oregon State got the ball. They pinned the Beavers in a fourth-and-9 situation on their own 22.
Mannion, though, completed a 13-yard pass to Mullaney for a first down to keep the drive alive. An 18-yard touchdown toss to Cooks and a successful two-point conversion eventually put the Beavers back on top at 45-38 with 2:29 remaining.
Nope. The Utes forced overtime when Wilson and Phillips tied the score at 45-45 with 21 seconds left in regulation. A 9-yard run by Wilson preceded the extra point by Phillips.
"That was a great college football game. It is unfortunate somebody had to lose, especially that it had to be us," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "I am proud of my kids. They were warriors tonight and hung in there for 60 minutes. We just came up one play short."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @DirkFacer, Contributing: Amy Donaldson
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22