Ivan Mejia, for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, greets Los Angeles Sheriff Lee Baca and his wife, Carol Baca. The church’s Southern California Public Affairs Council recognized Sheriff Baca on Saturday for his contributions to the community. The church hosted a tribute to the sheriff at a private residence, acknowledging his inclusive service amidst Los Angeles’ diverse populace.
Additional attendees included many consuls general and international diplomats who are posted in Los Angeles, as well as members of the Los Angeles City Council and surrounding city governments. The occasion was an opportunity for the church, its Southern California Public Affairs Council and other special guests to work together toward building bridges of understanding in the community as they honored Sheriff Baca.
Also while he was in California, President Uchtdorf met on Friday evening with Consul General Bernd Fischer from Germany and Consul General Laszlo Kalman from Hungary. The leaders reviewed the LDS Church’s presence in Germany and Hungary, both from a missionary and a humanitarian aid perspective. More than 900 full-time missionaries currently serve in the countries of Germany and Hungary combined. In addition, Hungary and Germany are among the 179 countries that have received emergency relief assistance from the LDS Church.
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Chinese group provides home for new LDS converts
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 6
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5