PROVO — The BYU women's soccer team is ranked No. 6 nationally and recently scored a big win over rival Utah. Freshman Ashley Hatch scored the game-winning goal in the match and is playing a big role in the team's success.
We caught up with Hatch to ask her five questions regarding her BYU experience and to gain insight into this year's team.
1. Talk about scoring the winning goal against Utah and the atmosphere of that game.
It was like nothing I’ve ever experienced before and it was incredible. It’s something I’ll never forget for the rest of my life. The atmosphere was incredible and I’ve definitely never played in front of so many people, but that’s one of the great things about BYU. There’s great fan support and it was the best feeling ever being able to do that for my team.
2. Why did you choose to play for BYU?
I’ve been going to BYU soccer camps since I was a freshman in high school, so it’s really always been the school I wanted to play for. It was sort of my summer vacation every year to come up here, and I’ve always loved BYU, the coaches and everything else it has to offer. It’s an amazing program and an amazing school and I never really thought about playing anywhere else.
3. What’s the best thing about BYU as a student and as a player?
You just have great people with similar goals around you, and it’s a great influence for your development as a player and as a person. BYU is a special place full of people who just want the best things in life, and that’s the thing I love most about being here.
4. Talk about the team this year. Who are the leaders and some of the young players to keep an eye on?
We’re definitely a younger team, but we have some great senior leaders who help me, and all the younger players a lot. Cloee (Colohan) and Rachel (Manning) are two seniors I really look up to, and they’ve helped me so much adjust and fit in to what the team does. Everyone on the team is so supportive, and they’ve made me feel like a part of the family immediately.
We’re definitely young, but I feel we’re strong at every position. We have a lot we can improve on, but we’re off to a great start and we’re real excited about how good we can be.
5. What are the goals for this team and for you personally? How far can this team go?
Any team obviously has the goal of a national championship, but I think it’s a real possibility at a school like BYU. We saw how far the team went last year, and that team was incredible, but we feel we have the coaches and players to go far as well.
I just want to help the team as much as possible. That’s what all of us want and that’s part of what makes us a great team. We’re always striving to be the best team we can, and if we do that, we feel we can accomplish a lot.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 106
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 32
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 30
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 18