SALT LAKE CITY — A low-pressure system rotating slowly over the state created wet, cool weather for much of northern Utah and caused flooding problems in some areas.
When the rain in West Jordan picked up about 3 p.m., much of that muddy water went streaming through saturated backyards in the Wilshire Park Apartment complex, sending water in the sliding back doors of four homes.
Residents at the complex said they had never seen flooding in the area.
By 7 p.m., the National Weather Service reported almost an inch of rain had fallen on Spanish Fork.
In Duchesne, rainwater turned Main Street into a river, with 1.3 inches of precipitation recorded by 5 p.m.
In other cities, including Saratoga Springs, heavy rainwater pooled in the streets.
Farther south, Huntington Canyon has faced intermittent closures over several weeks. More rockfall closed state Route 31 for a while Friday, the Utah Department of Transportation reported.
State Route 29, which was shut down Thursday, remained closed Friday because of the heavy rainfall.
UDOT crews spent Thursday clearing debris that the rain had washed onto state Route 191 near Duchesne, reopening road at 4:30 p.m. Barely 24 hours later, the road was closed again due to debris on the road, UDOT reported.
The rain is expected to continue across the state through Sunday, and monsoon conditions are expected to give way to fall weather by the end of the month, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank reported.
— Jed Boal
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip and...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 75
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 71
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14