SALT LAKE CITY — A low-pressure system rotating slowly over the state created wet, cool weather for much of northern Utah and caused flooding problems in some areas.
When the rain in West Jordan picked up about 3 p.m., much of that muddy water went streaming through saturated backyards in the Wilshire Park Apartment complex, sending water in the sliding back doors of four homes.
Residents at the complex said they had never seen flooding in the area.
By 7 p.m., the National Weather Service reported almost an inch of rain had fallen on Spanish Fork.
In Duchesne, rainwater turned Main Street into a river, with 1.3 inches of precipitation recorded by 5 p.m.
In other cities, including Saratoga Springs, heavy rainwater pooled in the streets.
Farther south, Huntington Canyon has faced intermittent closures over several weeks. More rockfall closed state Route 31 for a while Friday, the Utah Department of Transportation reported.
State Route 29, which was shut down Thursday, remained closed Friday because of the heavy rainfall.
UDOT crews spent Thursday clearing debris that the rain had washed onto state Route 191 near Duchesne, reopening road at 4:30 p.m. Barely 24 hours later, the road was closed again due to debris on the road, UDOT reported.
The rain is expected to continue across the state through Sunday, and monsoon conditions are expected to give way to fall weather by the end of the month, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank reported.
— Jed Boal
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Stolen truck full of $1 million in shoes...
- Gail Miller honored as 'Giant In Our City'
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 41
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 27
- Dramatic increase in Alzheimer's... 24
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Co-founder of Ancestry.com charged with... 14