SALT LAKE CITY — A low-pressure system rotating slowly over the state created wet, cool weather for much of northern Utah and caused flooding problems in some areas.
When the rain in West Jordan picked up about 3 p.m., much of that muddy water went streaming through saturated backyards in the Wilshire Park Apartment complex, sending water in the sliding back doors of four homes.
Residents at the complex said they had never seen flooding in the area.
By 7 p.m., the National Weather Service reported almost an inch of rain had fallen on Spanish Fork.
In Duchesne, rainwater turned Main Street into a river, with 1.3 inches of precipitation recorded by 5 p.m.
In other cities, including Saratoga Springs, heavy rainwater pooled in the streets.
Farther south, Huntington Canyon has faced intermittent closures over several weeks. More rockfall closed state Route 31 for a while Friday, the Utah Department of Transportation reported.
State Route 29, which was shut down Thursday, remained closed Friday because of the heavy rainfall.
UDOT crews spent Thursday clearing debris that the rain had washed onto state Route 191 near Duchesne, reopening road at 4:30 p.m. Barely 24 hours later, the road was closed again due to debris on the road, UDOT reported.
The rain is expected to continue across the state through Sunday, and monsoon conditions are expected to give way to fall weather by the end of the month, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank reported.
— Jed Boal
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Residents of six apartments displaced in Salt...
- Saratoga Springs residents fed up with city's...
- Man suffers burns in costly West Valley fire...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21