SALT LAKE CITY — A low-pressure system rotating slowly over the state created wet, cool weather for much of northern Utah and caused flooding problems in some areas.
When the rain in West Jordan picked up about 3 p.m., much of that muddy water went streaming through saturated backyards in the Wilshire Park Apartment complex, sending water in the sliding back doors of four homes.
Residents at the complex said they had never seen flooding in the area.
By 7 p.m., the National Weather Service reported almost an inch of rain had fallen on Spanish Fork.
In Duchesne, rainwater turned Main Street into a river, with 1.3 inches of precipitation recorded by 5 p.m.
In other cities, including Saratoga Springs, heavy rainwater pooled in the streets.
Farther south, Huntington Canyon has faced intermittent closures over several weeks. More rockfall closed state Route 31 for a while Friday, the Utah Department of Transportation reported.
State Route 29, which was shut down Thursday, remained closed Friday because of the heavy rainfall.
UDOT crews spent Thursday clearing debris that the rain had washed onto state Route 191 near Duchesne, reopening road at 4:30 p.m. Barely 24 hours later, the road was closed again due to debris on the road, UDOT reported.
The rain is expected to continue across the state through Sunday, and monsoon conditions are expected to give way to fall weather by the end of the month, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank reported.
— Jed Boal
- 'Bachelorette' contestant, BYU graduate dies...
- Transcript gives glimpse into deadly...
- Turkey truck crash will keep aqueduct shut...
- Gangs still prevalent in Utah with members as...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Mark Shurtleff says new report based on 'tall...
- Mayor wants Hale Center Theatre in South Jordan
- Herbert: Embattled Nevada rancher 'not the...
- U. student government passes resolution... 110
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 21
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 20