Dick Harmon: Utes' investment in Dennis Erickson already paying off
The biggest upside to all this, albeit it at home, is his confidence.
And that is a direct result of Erickson.
This week’s picks:
Alabama 38, Texas A&M 24: A&M's questionable defense is the difference and Johnny Football can't make up the difference this time.
Oregon 45, Tennessee 14: Look for the Duck attack to befuddle the talented Vols, who like trench warfare.
Ohio State 34, California 21: Look for Urban Meyer to teach Cal’s freshman QB a few lessons.
UCLA 24, Nebraska 21: If Wyoming almost beat the 'Huskers, why can't the Bruins?
Wisconsin 21, Arizona State 17: This will be a smash-mouth game and the Badgers win it in the trenches and with superior defense.
Notre Dame 28, Purdue 21: Big in-state rivalry game and the Fighting Irish rebound after Michigan loss. Though it's only been 12 months, it seems like a long time ago since Manti Teo’s fake girlfriend "died" this past week.
Mississippi 34, Texas 17: Two key Texas figures got roughed up in Provo and the Longhorns must prove they can defend up-tempo.
Colorado 17, Fresno State 15: Look for the Buffs to hold home-field advantage and project a more manly demeanor than a year ago.
USC 21, Boston College 17: Let’s put it this way: Lane Kiffin better find a win.
Washington 38, Illinois 34: Steve Sarkisian has the Huskies in a good place.
Utah 37, Oregon State 21: Defensive issues make it easier for Utes to etch out first Pac-12 win of the season.
Last week: 7-4; Overall: 12-8 (.600)
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45