The biggest upside to all this, albeit it at home, is his confidence.
And that is a direct result of Erickson.
This week’s picks:
Alabama 38, Texas A&M 24: A&M's questionable defense is the difference and Johnny Football can't make up the difference this time.
Oregon 45, Tennessee 14: Look for the Duck attack to befuddle the talented Vols, who like trench warfare.
Ohio State 34, California 21: Look for Urban Meyer to teach Cal’s freshman QB a few lessons.
UCLA 24, Nebraska 21: If Wyoming almost beat the 'Huskers, why can't the Bruins?
Wisconsin 21, Arizona State 17: This will be a smash-mouth game and the Badgers win it in the trenches and with superior defense.
Notre Dame 28, Purdue 21: Big in-state rivalry game and the Fighting Irish rebound after Michigan loss. Though it's only been 12 months, it seems like a long time ago since Manti Teo’s fake girlfriend "died" this past week.
Mississippi 34, Texas 17: Two key Texas figures got roughed up in Provo and the Longhorns must prove they can defend up-tempo.
Colorado 17, Fresno State 15: Look for the Buffs to hold home-field advantage and project a more manly demeanor than a year ago.
USC 21, Boston College 17: Let’s put it this way: Lane Kiffin better find a win.
Washington 38, Illinois 34: Steve Sarkisian has the Huskies in a good place.
Utah 37, Oregon State 21: Defensive issues make it easier for Utes to etch out first Pac-12 win of the season.
Last week: 7-4; Overall: 12-8 (.600)
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 67
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26