John Minchillo, Associated Press
A semitrailer truck got stuck on a narrow road in Utah's Butterfield Canyon last week, reportedly because a GPS system told the driver to keep going. Enter this as Exhibit A in the case against self-driving cars.
If you saw everyone else driving off a cliff, would you do so, too? You would if everyone’s smart cars got hacked.
That groan you heard last week was all the comedy writers and pundits in the land reacting to the defeat of Anthony Weiner in the New York mayoral primary.
Weiner was to comedy writing what hurricane season is to roofers.
Rumor has it Dennis Rodman might be hired to coach the North Korean Olympic basketball team. The only catch is that Kim Jong-un has to be the starting center.
Think about this for a minute. Rodman might coach a team in the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. I can foresee a crisis in which people think the entire North Korean team has defected, when in fact they will just be out all night trying to find their coach.
On the other hand, if you were a dictator trying to warn your people about the evils of freedom and capitalism, you could do worse than Dennis Rodman as your poster child.
The world was grateful last week when the president found a solution that avoids the U.S. having to bomb Syria. OK, so it wasn’t OUR president who found the solution, but you can’t have everything.
Russian President Vladimir Putin wrote an op-ed in the New York Times rebutting President Obama’s speech to the nation. Millions of Americans thought it was an improvement over the guys the Republicans usually get to do that.
Putin lectured the U.S. on what it means to follow the rule of law. Apparently, that’s a rule that doesn’t include extraditing people like Ed Snowden.
A golf course in Wisconsin got into trouble for offering 9 holes for $9.11 to commemorate the 12th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It seems we’ve discovered where the current line on taste lies — somewhere between Miley Cyrus’ tongue and cashing in on a national tragedy.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- In our opinion: Don't delay saving for...
- Letter: American billionaires
- Letter: Golden goose
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Letter: American billionaires 38
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 33
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 33
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- President should not act without... 28