Hike for Heidy to raise awareness of domestic violence
Sam Penrod, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The family of Heidy Truman, whose death was ruled a homicide, will honor her and raise awareness of domestic violence Saturday during the Hike for Heidy in Memory Grove.
Truman died of a gunshot wound to the head Oct. 1, 2012. Her husband, Conrad Truman, was charged with murder, a first-degree felony, and obstructing justice, a second-degree felony.
It’s been nearly a year since Heidy Truman died in her Orem home, but time has not eased the pain for her mother, Janet Wagner.
“I had no inclination something was amiss,” Wagner said.
“We thought she passed away due to some accident in her car,” added Autumn Wagner, Heidy Truman’s sister.
But after arriving at the hospital, Heidy Truman’s family was shocked to learn she had suffered a gunshot wound to the head.
“I got a very uneasy feeling that what happened to my sister was no accident,” Autumn Wagner said. “It was intentional, and someone took her life.”
Heidy Truman's friends came forward with allegations she had been a victim of domestic violence.
“They had mentioned black eyes and different things that our family was not aware of,” Autumn Wagner said.
On July 19, Conrad Truman was arrested and charged with his wife's murder.
“Doing the hike is doing something good for my family. It’s doing something good for my sister,” Amanda Wagner said.
Heidy Truman’s family will celebrate her life with a short hike in City Creek Canyon. The Hike for Heidy begins at 10 a.m. in Memory Grove.
“She was so happy, would never let anything let her down,” said Natalie Pettit, Heidy’s niece.
The Hike for Heidy will benefit the YWCA’s Women in Jeopardy program.
“The thought of prevention and educating people, it’s worth it,” said Sommer Keller, Heidy Truman's sister.
The family is hoping her story can help women in abusive relationships.
“It is a problem,” Janet Wagner said, “and people need to be aware of it, and hopefully they can get out (of abusive relationships) before it’s too late.”
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23