DUCHESNE — A malfunction in the heating and cooling system at Duchesne High School sent smoke into the hallways and classrooms Friday, forcing students and faculty outside.
The school's fire alarm went off about 12:30 p.m., Duchesne Fire Chief Russ Young said. Firefighters found "light smoke" inside the school when they arrived, he said.
By then the school had been evacuated, said Duchesne County Schools Superintendent David Brotherson, who noted that there were no injuries reported.
Firefighters determined that part of the HVAC system had failed, causing smoke to be released into the school, Young said.
"There was never any active fire," he said.
School maintenance crews were working to repair the problem when firefighters left the school, the chief said.
Students still had not returned to class by 1:50 p.m, according to Brotherson. They were expected to be released from school at 2 p.m., which is the normal release time on Fridays.
— Geoff Liesik
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared...
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for sale'...
- Missing 13-month-old Heber City girl found in...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage in...
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on...
- Grand jury indicts Moab man for theft of...
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 21
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18