CNN screen shot
Scott Mackintosh's short shorts have made national headlines this week as the story of a dad who wanted to teach his daughter a modesty lesson has gone viral.
People magazine, CNN, Yahoo, Huffington Post and the Daily Mail UK are just a few news outlets that have picked up on the story of a dad who mimicked his daughter's apparel in order to make a statement.
One host on CNN even referred to the father of seven as his hero, explaining that as a father of young girls himself, he respects Mackintosh for caring about the lessons his daughter learns.
Mackintosh and his daughter Myley Mackintosh from Lehi, Utah, appeared on the show and spoke about their viral story. When asked why he chose to embarrass himself rather than just ground his daughter, Mackintosh said he did what he thought would work best.
"We'd had plenty of arguments about it and that doesn't get you anywhere," Mackintosh said on CNN. "So we decided to go with more of a humorous route and I knew she would take it well and in good spirits and think it was funny. So it was more to me of making a statement, but doing it with a little humor instead of an argumentative attitude."
When asked what she learned from her dad's statement, his daughter responded that she knows her dad loves her.
"Well, it taught me that he cares a lot more about it than I thought he had, if he would go to those lengths to look like that out in public and embarrass himself a little bit just to prove to me a point," Myley Mackintosh told CNN. "So it's definitely something I think about."
Since sporting the short shorts, Mackintosh told the "Today" show that they've since heard from all over the world, but most importantly he did something his daughter won't forget.
"I think she's just aware of my feelings and sometimes understanding your parent's feelings are important," Mackintosh said.
"Today Show" hosts Matt Lauer and Savannah Gunthrie commended the dad for his fun way of approaching a difficult topic.
"First of all he seems like a fun dad," Lauer said. "And second of all, I love the fact that the discussion is being had."
"He likes to say 'modest is hottest,’ ” Gunthrie said. "I love that.
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with One...
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of...
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice Bucket...
- The Clean Cut: Mothers brought to tears in...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Sherry Young: The man who delivers flowers,...
- Charlie and the Doll Factory? Penguin's new...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 55
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of... 31
- Provo company creates program that... 16
- How your premarital experiences can... 12
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice... 12
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 12
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with... 9