SANDY — The Canyons Board of Education honored 13 recipients of the fourth annual Apex Awards during a ceremony earlier this week.
The board initiated the Apex Awards in 2010 to acknowledge and honor champions of public education in the community. Educators, district employees, legislators, city officials, community leaders and volunteers who go above and beyond receive the district’s highest recognition as a result of their work on behalf of Canyons District students.
“The word ‘apex’ is a mathematical term,” Sherril Taylor, board president, said at the award ceremony. “It’s the height of a true challenge. The people we are honoring know well what it takes to reach the top. Through their words and deeds, they have not just followed the paths in front of them; they have blazed a trail for others to follow.”
This year’s recipients are: Friend of Canyons District — Draper Mayor Darrell Smith, and Gary Martensen, president of Canyons Education Support Professionals Association; Teacher of the Year — Monica Rotermund, Brookwood Elementary; School Administrator of the Year — Greg Leavitt, Draper Park Middle School principal; District Administrators of the Year — Stephen Dimond, Jo Jolley, Susan Callister and Everett Perry, district human resources department administrative team; Education Support Professional of the Year — Holly Muir, help desk, Canyons District information technology department; Volunteer of the Year — Irv Eastham, Copperview Elementary; Elected Official of the Year — Rep. Tim Cosgrove, D-Murray; Business Partner of the Year — Kirt Taylor of Horace Mann Insurance; Legacy Award — David S. Doty, Canyons’ first superintendent.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Ex-Clearfield High teacher takes plea deal in...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 78
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17