Pioneer Theatre's 'Something's Afoot': A musical whodunit tributes Agatha Christie
“George Maxwell has designed a terrific set, and it has one surprise after another," the director explains. “People may think ‘Oh, it’s a small, one-set musical,’ but the set does need to be that 11th character. And what the design and construction crews have done is phenomenal.”
Along with fusing musical theater conventions to murder mystery tropes, “Something’s Afoot” blends song styles, including 1930s English music-hall songs and other musical genres.
“The music is very catchy,” she says. “It’s not Sondheim, it’s not innovative. But each song is very evocative of a certain musical theater style of an era gone by. It completely works. Like the music, ‘Something’s Afoot’ is entertainment for entertainment’s sake.”
If you go ...
What: “Something’s Afoot”
Where: Pioneer Theatre Company
When: Sept. 20 through Oct. 5
How much: $42-$65 in advance and $5 more when purchased the day of performance
Tickets: 801-581-6961 or pioneertheatre.org
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a theological...
- FanX family guide: What to do at Comic Con
- Jenny Oaks Baker combines classical with rock...
- Disney Channel's 'Jessie' breaks romantic...
- Religious-themed films find home in Hollywood
- Paul McCartney will play EnergySolutions...
- Comic Con FanX welcomes guests from many...
- Seasoned choreographer carries on mother's...
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 9
- Sugar House fireworks show will go on... 6
- With $41.4 million, 'Captain America'... 3
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Daughters and... 3
- 'Biggest Loser' casting call to be in... 3
- Paul McCartney will play... 2
- Jerry Lewis: Women are funny, but not... 1
- 'Captain Underpants' tops list of last... 1