SANDY — The groundbreaking and start-of-demolition ceremony at Mount Jordan Middle School will be Wednesday.
Students, teachers, parents and members of the community are invited to the event, starting at 5:30 p.m. with a social and reception. The ceremony will be at 9360 S. 300 East — the site of the Mount Jordan campus for 59 years. Crews are starting the project by knocking down the old building.
The new Mount Jordan Middle School is being funded by a $250 million, tax-rate-neutral bond approved by Canyons School District voters in 2010. The new school will be approximately 200,000 square feet and built to emphasize such areas as science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics.
Plans also call for a gymnasium with an elevated running track, fitness rooms, a lecture hall, a performing arts suite, a spacious commons area and cafeteria, a 180-seat lecture hall, and natural light in the hallways and classrooms. The school also will be wired for the high-tech demands of a 21st-century education.
The new school, scheduled for completion in fall 2015, will be the sixth rebuilt or new school Canyons District has completed since 2009, when it became the first new school district to be created in Utah in 100 years.
While the new school is being built, Mount Jordan students and teachers are being housed at the old Crescent View Middle School, 11150 S. 300 East.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 20
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14