PROVO – The BYU women’s volleyball team heads north on Tuesday to face the University of Utah before heading back home to begin conference play against rival San Diego.
The Cougars improved to 6-3 during the week with sweeps at home against the Bobcats of Montana State and the Anteaters of UC Irvine.
BYU will face off against the Utes in their home territory at the Huntsman Center at 7 p.m. MDT. This will be the 96th matchup between the two in-state rivals. The Cougars won last year in Provo with a 3-0 sweep and lead the all-time series 66-29.
Utah returns six starters from a 2012 team that finished ninth in the Pac-12 with a 14-19 overall finish.
On Friday, Sept. 20, BYU will return to the comfort of the Smith Fieldhouse for its WCC home opener against the Toreros of San Diego. They are ranked ninth nationally. This will be the seventh match between the two conference foes. Last year the series was split 1-1, with San Diego taking the most recent contest, 2-3, at its home court. The Toreros lead the overall series, 2-4.
San Diego returns five starters from last year’s squad that tied BYU for a first-place finish in conference play and a 21-7 overall record.
The match against Utah will be televised on the Pac-12 Network. The Cougars’ WCC opener against San Diego will be televised nationally on BYUtv. Links to live stats can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.
Royce Hinton is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Utah's Delon Wright and BYU's Tyler Haws make...
- BYU football: Cougars lacking defensive...
- BYU looking to end 4-game losing streak
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Middle Tennessee excited about home... 31
- Utah State leads local schools in newly... 29