Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BYU has a tough schedule in 2013 — arguably its toughest ever — as it faces formidable opponents with strong coaches, tough defenses and potent offenses.
Notre Dame was undefeated last year until it lost to Alabama in the National Championship. Wisconsin shut out its first two opponents in 2013. Nevada is one of only six teams to beat BYU at home in the Mendenhall era. In their first two games, the Utes outscored their opponents 100-33. Utah State is a dangerous in-state rival that enjoyed its first-ever 11-win season in 2012.
Against BYU, Texas's defense wasn't quite everything it was pumped up to be, but the Longhorns did manage to put up a school record 715 yards in week one.
With a 1-1 record so far in its 2013 season, the Cougars now embark upon a week of rest and preparation in advance of the biggest game in the Beehive State, the BYU-Utah showdown.
It won't be long before Utes and Cougars are at each other's throats. In the meantime, here are 10 must-know facts about BYU football for the bye week.
Michael is a graduate of Dixie State University and the owner of Mike's Professional Editing LLC, which provides editing, proofreading, and audio transcription services. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 33
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28