Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BYU has a tough schedule in 2013 — arguably its toughest ever — as it faces formidable opponents with strong coaches, tough defenses and potent offenses.
Notre Dame was undefeated last year until it lost to Alabama in the National Championship. Wisconsin shut out its first two opponents in 2013. Nevada is one of only six teams to beat BYU at home in the Mendenhall era. In their first two games, the Utes outscored their opponents 100-33. Utah State is a dangerous in-state rival that enjoyed its first-ever 11-win season in 2012.
Against BYU, Texas's defense wasn't quite everything it was pumped up to be, but the Longhorns did manage to put up a school record 715 yards in week one.
With a 1-1 record so far in its 2013 season, the Cougars now embark upon a week of rest and preparation in advance of the biggest game in the Beehive State, the BYU-Utah showdown.
It won't be long before Utes and Cougars are at each other's throats. In the meantime, here are 10 must-know facts about BYU football for the bye week.
Michael is a graduate of Dixie State University and the owner of Mike's Professional Editing LLC, which provides editing, proofreading, and audio transcription services. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37