Pairs, men compete in figure skating short programs at Salt Lake arena
The pairs will skate their full programs at 5:45 p.m. Friday, with the men skating their longer programs at 7:15 p.m. Ice dancers will begin Friday’s competition with their short programs at 12:35 p.m.
Coughlin said he had to find patience he didn’t know he had after undergoing surgery on a torn labrum in his hip, as well as micro-fracturing that is meant to help simulate lost cartilage.
“I spent seven weeks, zero weight bearing, spending eight hours a day, with a passive motion machine bicycling my leg for me,” he said. Then it was gentle kicks in the pool, slow walking and gradually running on a treadmill that counteracted his body weight.
“We baby-stepped it back because we wanted to do it right, to do it once,” said the 27-year-old Missouri native.
Both he and Denney said doing well in this early competition is important to them.
“It mattered a lot to me,” said Coughlin, who has skated with Denney since 2011. “It mattered to both of us. We always want to skate well when it says representing your home skating club, or when it says representing your country. There is a lot of weight behind that. We take that seriously and we want to represent the country well. We’re excited to be back traveling with the team again.”
All of the skaters said they have room to improve, but Coughlin said he and Denney have gotten creative about how they approach training this season.
“Our offense has gotten a little more in-depth this year,” he said smiling, as he described specific workouts they’ve committed to off the ice. “We both do some hot yoga together to work on our flexibility. I feel like I’m dying halfway through it. I tell Katie, 'If I pass out, just drag me out of there.'”
2013 U.S. INTERNATIONAL FIGURE SKATING CLASSIC
Friday, Sept. 13
Short Dance: 12:35 PM
Ladies SP: 3:10 PM
Pairs FS: 5:45 PM
Men’s FS: 7:15 PM
Saturday, Sept. 14
Ladies FS: 2:50 PM
Free Dance: 5:45 PM
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Utah Jazz: Hayward finally has breakout game...
- Cougars relish opportunity to play in-state...
- Schedule only gets tougher for BYU basketball...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 58
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 51
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 28
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 27