ALPINE — BYU received a commitment from Lone Peak sophomore Frank Jackson. Jackson is a 6-foot-1 guard who committed to the Cougars after making an unofficial visit to the campus.
"I'm excited and honored to be part of BYU's program," Jackson said just minutes after committing. "It's seriously a dream come true for me to play for coach (Dave) Rose and with all the other great players and coaches at BYU. I can't wait."
Jackson has been a regular attendee of BYU camps for years, but first served public notice after a key performance last season. Playing for Lehi, as a freshman, Jackson put up 30 points against Nick Emery and the Lone Peak Knights.
His performance that night didn't just serve notice to the public, but to himself.
"That game really gave me a lot of confidence and really inspired me to work harder, get stronger and really believe I had a chance to be a really good player," he said. "Since that game I really put in the time, and it's paid off and I'm now determined to work even harder."
Despite the work, and subsequent improvement, BYU's offer came as a complete surprise to the young sophomore and his family.
The family drove down to pay an unofficial visit to the program the day after receiving the offer. During the visit it became clear to Jackson that there was no need to play out his recruitment.
"It just felt right being down there," Jackson said. "It's such a great opportunity and I love BYU's program. I always have. I love coach Rose and he really reminds me of coach (Quincy) Lewis with how he runs things and how he treats his players. BYU is a great school as well, so it was sort of an easy decision."
Jackson's family moved from Lehi to Alpine in the offseason and Jackson has immediately been embraced Lone Peak and its players — particularly by TJ Haws, who is also committed to play for BYU.
"I've become real close with TJ and he's a great example in every way," Jackson said. "I can't wait to play with him at Lone Peak and I can't wait to play with him at BYU. I can't wait to play with all the great Lone Peak players next year and while I'm at BYU."
Jackson is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and has plans to serve a mission upon graduation.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43