IRVINE, Calif. – The Westminster College men’s soccer team opened its two-game trip to California with a 0-3 loss at No. 23 Concordia (Calif.) on Thursday evening at Eagles Field.
Concordia (1-2) got on the board in the 17th minute as Mario Soto headed in a corner kick from Rayane Bouarroud for his first goal of the season. That 1-0 lead held through halftime with Concordia taking a 10-3 edge in shots into the break.
Ryan Naime then scored back-to-back goals for the Eagles to reach the 3-0 final advantage. His first came after a rebound from a shot by Gerardo Hernandez in the 79th minute. Naime tallied the double when his breakaway in the 90th minute was created by Kayvon Afsarifad.
Westminster (3-3) attempted eight shots after intermission and took two corner kicks. Anthony Alcox led the Griffin attack with three shots. Jared DeHart posted two shots with both on goal off the bench. Logan Butzier took the loss in goal despite making seven saves.
The Griffins return to action Saturday when they visit 12th-ranked Biola (Calif.) in La Mirada, Calif. The action begins at 5 p.m. at Al Barbour Field.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 43
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33