West Valley City fires embattled police detective Shaun Cowley
"Here we have a situation, unfortunately, where a member of the department was acting inappropriately and accountability was affixed to that," Russo said. "The other officers that go out there, they have to wear the tarnish that this brings, but it doesn't diminish the great things that they do every day."
Jarvis refuted Russo's claim and invited the media and the public to observe Cowley's termination hearing for themselves.
"Rather than restoring public trust, the public will ultimately be outraged that city leaders and members of the West Valley City Police Department administration allowed such behaviors to take place, and at times, actively engaged in covering them up," Jarvis said.
Four officers from the disbanded Neighborhood Narcotics Unit — Chris Smith, Rafael Frausto, Barbara Lund and Sean McCarthy — have returned to full duty, city officials said. Two others, officer Ricardo Franco and Sgt. Michael Johnson, face suspensions. Lt. John Coyle is currently appealing disciplinary action, according to a news release.
The fate of detective Kevin Salmon, who also shot at Willard, remains undecided, and he continues to be on paid administrative leave.
In the meantime, Russo said he is unsure whether the Neighborhood Narcotics Unit will be re-established.
Officers returning from that unit have been reassigned, and the department will focus on community service and policing with the goal of reducing crime and improving quality of life in Utah's second-largest city, he said. Narcotics investigations will be part of that, Russo said.
"During the reduction of force we've experienced over the economy in the last couple of years, that area has suffered," the new chief said. "That has disengaged us and separated us from our community, so I want to be sure we get back out, that we are re-engaged, that we have personnel that are dealing with residents and their problems."
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail without a...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- National conservative group backs... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11