Granger Elementary student hit by car while heading to school bus
WEST VALLEY CITY — A fifth-grader from Granger Elementary School suffered a fractured skull when he was hit by a small SUV Wednesday while trying to board a school bus.
The driver of a Ford Escape hit the 10-year-old boy about 8:30 a.m. when the child tried to cross the street to catch his bus near 3600 South and 1300 West, according to West Valley City Police Sgt. Jason Hauer.
"It looks like (the boy) ran out into the roadway without looking," Hauer said.
The boy was flown by helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center, where he was diagnosed with a skull fracture, cuts and scrapes, the sergeant said.
The crash was witnessed by 30 to 50 students and the school bus driver, said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley. The district is offering assistance to the bus driver, and counselors were on hand Wednesday at Granger Elementary, Horsley said.
"Obviously, witnessing an accident of any sort when you're a younger student can be a traumatic thing," he said. "So we want to make sure that the resources we have are utilized to benefit them."
The injured student was "resting comfortably" at the hospital Wednesday, according to Horsley.
Police are continuing to investigate the crash, looking at whether speed, driver impairment or other issues may have been contributing factors, Hauer said.
"Because of the circumstances in this case, there may or may not be charges," he said. "It depends on what the investigators are able to find out about the crash."
Horsley said the incident is a reminder that extra care is needed around schools and school bus stops.
"It's good to pay attention and make sure that we're watching the road," he said. "As for the kids, we're always working to educate them to make sure they're following and adhering to traffic laws, using crosswalks, and those kind of things.
"It's incumbent on parents, students and drivers to keep kids safe," he added.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15