Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
OMAHA, Neb. — The Salt Lake Bees couldn't hold on to a 2-1 lead in the seventh inning, falling to the Omaha Storm Chasers 3-2 in Game 1 of the best-of-five Pacific Coast League championship series Wednesday afternoon.
Game 2 is tonight at 6:05 p.m. Game 1 was suspended in the top of the second inning Tuesday night and was resumed Wednesday at noon.
The Storm Chasers scored a run in both the seventh and eighth innings to take the 1-0 series lead.
“Obviously our guys battled, but we just came up a little short,” Bees manager Keith Johnson said in a news release. “They (Omaha) found some holes there late, and pushed across one run in each of those last two innings. We just weren’t able to overcome it.”
In the seventh inning, Rey Navarro hit a single to center with two out and no one on for Omaha. Manny Pina then hit a double to left to score Navarro and tie the game.
In the eighth inning, Ben Broussard lined a 1-1 pitch into center to score Irving Falu — who got on base with a single — for the winning run.
The Bees failed to get on base in the ninth inning.
When the game resumed Wednesday, the score was tied 1-1. The Bees' Luis Rodriguez broke the tie with a home run to right field in the fourth inning to give Salt Lake the 2-1 lead.
During the second inning before the suspension on Tuesday, Rusty Ryal drove in the Bees' first run on an infield single.
Barry Enright went 4 2/3 innings while not giving up a run on five hits in the losing effort for Salt Lake.
After tonight's Game 2, the Bees will head home to host Game 3 Friday at 6:30 p.m.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30