Westminster volleyball: Griffins open Frontier play at Montana Western
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team opens Frontier Conference play this week with a trip to Dillon, Mont., to face Montana Western. The lone match of the week is slated for Friday at 7 p.m. in Straugh Gymnasium.
The game will be stream live and feature live stats. Links for the live features can be found in the calendar section of Westminster's athletic reception.
Westminster enters league play after going 6-7 at three tournaments to start the season. The Griffins are coming off a 3-1 weekend at the Julie Martin Memorial Classic with the only loss coming to No. 11 Madonna (Mich.) in the finale. Westminster was the tournament runner-up with wins over Roosevelt (Ill.), Davenport (Mich.) and Illinois Tech.
The Griffins have gone 3-6 in matches played away from home this season, including a 0-2 mark in road games. They are 6-2 against teams that aren’t ranked at the time of the match and 2-3 in night matches.
The Westminster offense sits fourth in the Frontier by hitting .181 and with an average of 11.42 kills per set. The Griffins have had more kills than the opposition in six matches and claimed five wins in that situation. The Griffins rank fifth in the league with 10.52 assist per set and seventh at 1.17 service aces per set.
Defensively the Griffins are posting 2.21 blocks per set to place second in the league and are fourth in the NAIA with 115 total blocks. Westminster has had at least five blocks in all but one match it has played this year, and four times it has been in double figures. The Griffins are also averaging 14.21 digs per set and holding the opposition to .161 hitting.
Westminster is 16-4 all-time against Montana Western and 7-3 in Dillon. The Griffins had a 16-match winning streak against UMW snapped with a 3-1 loss in Dillon last October. Of the 20 matches they have played, only once has the match gone five sets.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30