Ex-Sky View drill team coach to serve 30 days in jail for stealing funds
SMITHFIELD, Cache County — A former Sky View High School drill instructor was sentenced Tuesday to 30 days in jail for embezzling funds from the school.
Jackie Lynn Hansen, 28, pleaded guilty to forgery, a third-degree felony, and theft, a class A misdemeanor. Judge Kevin K. Allen suspended prison terms and ordered her to spend a month in jail.
Hansen was the coach for the Sky View High School drill team, also known as the Vistauns, until April 2011. She was accused of forging documents to embezzle money from Sky View and the school's drill team.
Hansen was also sentenced to 36 months of probation and was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine.
As a condition of her probation, Allen also ordered her to help create a video with the Utah State Office of Education about her crime. She was also ordered to pay restitution of $6,182 to be split among the victims and to write an apology letter to the drill team and their parents.
In August 2010, Hansen turned in an invoice to Sky View for $1,260 that was supposed to be for costumes from a company called "Arena Design," the charges state. However, the school could not find a Utah business with that name.
Prosecutors say Hansen admitted to forging additional invoices involving thousands of dollars.
Hansen told a former roommate that "Sky View was not paying her what she deserved," according to court documents.
Hansen was originally charged in 1st District Court with theft, a second-degree felony; four counts of forgery, a third-degree felony; and an additional misdemeanor count of theft. The other charges were dropped in June in exchange for her guilty pleas.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood claims
- Ann Romney on likability, Hillary Clinton, MS...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 69
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 35
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20