OREM — A statewide digitization project is underway to create a freely accessible online collection of original pioneer-era manuscripts that still remain in private hands.
The project is called Pioneers in Your Attic: Preserving the Legacy of the Overland Migration. Coordinators are hosting free scanning events where anyone who has family diaries, letters, photographs or other original items created during the period from 1842-1869 that reflect social, political, military, business and religious life on the frontier are encouraged to bring them to be scanned and included in the project.
There will be a free scanning event held at Orem Public Library on Tuesday, Oct. 8, from 5-8 p.m.
Original items that document the lives and viewpoints of traditionally under-represented populations in American history, such as women, children, Native Americans and other minorities, are especially needed, but all contributions will be valued as unique, important primary source materials that can be freely accessed online by scholars, students, genealogists and family history researchers.
Utah Valley University archives staff will be at the event to scan people’s original items on the spot, and materials will be given back to the owner. Digital copies will be sent to contributors as well. Selected materials will be featured in the Pioneers In Your Attic digital collection at mwdl.org/portals/pioneers.php.
Appointments are encouraged for the scanning event, but walk-ins will be accommodated as scheduling allows. To make an appointment and for more information, contact Catherine McIntyre at 801-863-8821 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Powell family fires back at recent court...
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Windstorm topples trees, trucks, power poles...
- U. student government passes resolution... 93
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 20
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19