"We caution you to be civil and responsible as you defend religious liberty and moral values," Elder Cook continued. "We ask that you do this on the Internet and in your personal interactions in the neighborhoods and in the community where you live. Be an active participant, not a silent observer."
The LDS Church is certainly not alone in its concern for preserving and protecting religious liberty. Religious leaders from across the faith spectrum are engaged in the effort.
Pope Francis said recently that defending religious liberty and making it available for all is everyone’s responsibility. Doing so, he said, “guarantees the growth and development of the entire community.”
And during an interview last week with the Deseret News, Dr. Richard Land, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, which speaks for the SBC on social issues like religious freedom, said that "when it comes to religious freedom, we all hang together or we all hang separately. We are common targets in this."
The new LDS Church resources "contribute to the many conversations taking place on this topic and highlight freedom of religion as a fundamental human right that protects the conscience of all people and allows them to act upon what they deeply believe," the Newsroom release noted.
As Elder Cook stated: "It is important to become well-educated on this issue and take responsibility to pass on to future generations the religious freedom (we) now enjoy."
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 62
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20