"We caution you to be civil and responsible as you defend religious liberty and moral values," Elder Cook continued. "We ask that you do this on the Internet and in your personal interactions in the neighborhoods and in the community where you live. Be an active participant, not a silent observer."
The LDS Church is certainly not alone in its concern for preserving and protecting religious liberty. Religious leaders from across the faith spectrum are engaged in the effort.
Pope Francis said recently that defending religious liberty and making it available for all is everyone’s responsibility. Doing so, he said, “guarantees the growth and development of the entire community.”
And during an interview last week with the Deseret News, Dr. Richard Land, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, which speaks for the SBC on social issues like religious freedom, said that "when it comes to religious freedom, we all hang together or we all hang separately. We are common targets in this."
The new LDS Church resources "contribute to the many conversations taking place on this topic and highlight freedom of religion as a fundamental human right that protects the conscience of all people and allows them to act upon what they deeply believe," the Newsroom release noted.
As Elder Cook stated: "It is important to become well-educated on this issue and take responsibility to pass on to future generations the religious freedom (we) now enjoy."
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Will this key line in Melania Trump's GOP...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the 'most...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- GOP platform: Plenty for evangelicals to love
- Adult coloring books get niched: Color me...
- Why many churches can't endorse political...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 48
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 28
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 25
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- GOP platform: Plenty for evangelicals... 12
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10