"We caution you to be civil and responsible as you defend religious liberty and moral values," Elder Cook continued. "We ask that you do this on the Internet and in your personal interactions in the neighborhoods and in the community where you live. Be an active participant, not a silent observer."
The LDS Church is certainly not alone in its concern for preserving and protecting religious liberty. Religious leaders from across the faith spectrum are engaged in the effort.
Pope Francis said recently that defending religious liberty and making it available for all is everyone’s responsibility. Doing so, he said, “guarantees the growth and development of the entire community.”
And during an interview last week with the Deseret News, Dr. Richard Land, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, which speaks for the SBC on social issues like religious freedom, said that "when it comes to religious freedom, we all hang together or we all hang separately. We are common targets in this."
The new LDS Church resources "contribute to the many conversations taking place on this topic and highlight freedom of religion as a fundamental human right that protects the conscience of all people and allows them to act upon what they deeply believe," the Newsroom release noted.
As Elder Cook stated: "It is important to become well-educated on this issue and take responsibility to pass on to future generations the religious freedom (we) now enjoy."
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5