Jeff Benedict: The true story of how BYU came to hire football coach Bronco Mendenhall
Mendenhall was speechless. He hardly knew Edwards. But he revered him.
“Please come in,” Mendenhall said.
Nursing a bum knee, the seventy-four-year-old legend limped toward a chair and took a seat opposite Mendenhall. Then he just stared at the young coach. Mendenhall met his gaze.
“You’ve got a tough job,” Edwards finally said.
“I just realized that over the past two hours.”
Edwards grinned. He knew Mendenhall hadn’t even begun to realize how tough it would be. “You’ve got one of the hardest jobs in the country,” Edwards continued.
Sober, Mendenhall nodded.
“But you’ve also got one of the best jobs in the country,” Edwards said. For the next thirty minutes, Mendenhall listened as Edwards shared ideas. When it was clear that the visit was coming to an end, Mendenhall asked if he had any parting advice.
“Don’t try to be me,” Edwards said. “Don’t try to be anybody else, either. The best way to success is be yourself. Just be yourself and set your program in that direction.”
Then he disappeared.
Excerpted from THE SYSTEM: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian Copyright © 2013 by Jeff Benedict & Associates, LLC, and Lights Out Productions, LLC. Excerpted by permission of Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher. THE SYSTEM is available online at Amazon.com.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- How to get a ballpark-like lawn (+video)
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 120
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 10