PULLMAN, Wash. - With 36 holes gone at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Utah Valley University sits in 10th place. The 54-hole tournament is being played at the 7,308-yard Palouse Ridge Golf Club, a par-70 course on the campus of Washington State University.
Preston Richards is the top scorer for UVU thus far, carding a 3-over (73-70) through 54 holes. With a 70 in the second round, Richards was the only Wolverine to shoot at or below par on the day and is tied for 26th on the overall leaderboard.
"We just never really got it going today," head coach Chris Curran said. "It was just one of those days where everyone was a bit off their game. Preston had a great second round despite having a little bit of a rollercoaster day."
Brayden Eriksen (72-72) sits just one shot back of Richards and is tied for 30th, followed closely by Clark Fredrickson (73-72) who finds himself in a tie for 38th. Corey Eccles is tied for 53rd after going 72-75, and Stratton Schulz (76-72) sits in a tie for 59th.
Playing as an individual, Noah Cook (71-76) is tied for 53rd after his opening-day 7-over.
As a team, Utah Valley fired a 576 on day one, a figure that is good enough for 10th after 54 holes. Still, the Wolverines are in a position to catapult up the leaderboard with a strong round Tuesday. UVU is just four strokes back of sixth-place Chico State (572) as spots six through 10 each have only one stroke between them. San Jose State (573) is in seventh, Gonzaga (574) in eighth and Boise State (575) in ninth.
"We need to put together a good round tomorrow and see if we can jump a few of these teams," Curran said.
Host WSU leads the tournament on its home course with an 8-under (552) while the only other school to post a score under par on Monday was Cal State Fullerton at a 3-under 559. Sacramento State (565), Idaho (567) and Santa Clara (569) own spots three through five as well as a slight advantage over the bottom half of the field. SCU is three strokes ahead of sixth-place Chico State (572).
British Columbia (579) and Seattle University (580) round out the 12-team field.
Tuesday's final round gets underway at 8:30 a.m., and live scoring will again be available on Golfstat's website.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34