ROY — Police have arrested one man in connection with a fatal shooting at a house party over the weekend.
Ruben Alvarado Nava III, 40, was arrested Monday as part of an investigation into the death of 23-year-old Mario Saucedo.
The two men apparently didn't know each other. They were "just two people who ended up at the same party," Roy police spokesman Bryce Weir said.
Saucedo was shot just after midnight Sunday at a house party in Roy, 2950 W. 4650 South. Police were en route to a fight at the party when they received reports multiple shots had been fired and someone had been hit.
Saucedo was given emergency medical treatment but was pronounced dead at an area hospital. No one else was involved in the altercation Sunday, Weir said.
When police arrived, Nava had fled the scene. Investigators located him at an apartment in Clearfield on Monday and took him into custody without incident. Nava was booked into Weber County Jail, and potential charges are being screened by the Weber County Attorney's Office.
According to Utah court records, Nava was convicted of joyriding in 2006, a felony amended to a misdemeanor. He was sentenced to jail time, running consecutively with an earlier conviction that same year of two counts of felony forgery.
In 2005, Nava was convicted of misdemeanor drug possession. In 2004, he was convicted of misdemeanor simple assault and domestic violence, according to court records.
— McKenzie Romero
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 19
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Young adults are faced with risky... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11