UVU golf: Wolverines sit in 11th after day one of Hobble Creek Invite
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
SPRINGVILLE - The Utah Valley University women's golf team sits in 11th place after playing 36 holes of golf at the Hobble Creek Invitational on Monday. The Wolverines conclude their lone home tournament of the season with 18 more holes Tuesday at Hobble Creek Golf Course in Springville, Utah.
"We didn't play well at all today," head coach Sue Nyhus said. "But we're looking forward to tomorrow and expecting better results."
UVU holds 11th place in the standings after shooting a pair of identical rounds of 322 on Monday for a total of 644 (+76). The University of San Francisco leads the field after firing 22-over, while Gonzaga is in second at +32 and fellow WAC foe Grand Canyon sits in third with +39.
Junior Lynn-Marié Nagel, who is playing the tournament as an individual, is leading the way for UVU as she is tied for fifth with 7-over par. Nagel posted rounds of 74 and 75 on Monday, which included three birdies in the second round.
As for the team scorers, sophomore Kalea Heu and junior Brooke Whittaker are the top Wolverines as they are tied for 38th at +18. Heu shot identical rounds of 80 while Whittaker, who won her the first tournament of her career at the Wildcat Invitational on Aug. 30, posted an 83 in round one and a 77 in round two with an eagle and two birdies.
Sophomore Cassandra Lesa and junior Heather Mathison are the next team scorers for UVU as they are tied for 44th at +20. Freshman Monica Yeates rounds out the Wolverines' top five as she sits in a tie for 68th with +30.
The final round of the Hobble Creek Invitational begins at 8 a.m. on Tuesday. Live scoring will be available by visiting Golfstat's website.
Hobble Creek Golf Course is a par-71 that consists of 6,032 yards.
"We'll use today as a learning experience that will hopefully springboard us to play better golf in the future," Nyhus said.
Following the Hobble Creek Invitational, Utah Valley will head to Kuna, Idaho, to take part in Boise State's Bronco Fall Classic, on Sept. 16-17.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- MLS Cup live blog: Sporting KC wins 7-6 in...
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog: Minutemen's...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting UMass fires its...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Real Salt Lake: RSL's quest to win MLS Cup...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 60
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 50
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 27