Matt Gade, Deseret News
SANDY — The Healing Field Flag Display was up and waving on the grass promenade south of Sandy City Hall on Monday. There are flags representing people killed in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
In addition, flags will be flown representing each member of the military from Utah killed in action since 2001. There are flags honoring those police, fire and other first responders killed in Utah since Sept. 11, 2001. The display will remain up until retiring the field at 5 p.m. Thursday.
There will be a 9/11 memorial ceremony in front of Sandy City Hall at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Also on Wednesday, a memorial will be dedicated in Kaysville to three 9/11 victims with Utah ties.
The memorial, at Utah State University Botanical Gardens, 920 S. 50 West, will be dedicated in a ceremony at 6:30 a.m. on the 12th anniversary of the terrorist attacks. Lt. Gov. Greg Bell and Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, are scheduled to speak.
The memorial consists of a bronze statue of a firefighter holding a little girl. It also will feature plaques with the names of 129 Utah service members who were killed in action since 9/11.
The three victims with ties to the state are Mary Alice Wahlstrom, 78, a resident of Kaysville, and Wahlstrom's daughter Carolyn Anne Beug, 48, both of whom were passengers on American Airlines Flight 11 that crashed into the World Trade Center; and Brady Howell, 26, a Utah State alumnus who was on American Airlines Flight 77 when it crashed into the Pentagon. Howell was employed at the Pentagon.
The statue was sculpted by Angela Johnson and funded with about $200,000 in an effort that began about a year after the attacks.
Fundraising is still ongoing for the memorial. Tax-deductible donations can be sent to Youth of Promise, 1173 E. 200 North, Kaysville, UT 84037. Donors who gives $2,500 or more will receive a bronze miniature replica of the statue.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 35
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17