BYU's Texas thumping leads to firing of Longhorns defensive coordinator Manny Diaz
Michael Thomas, ASSOCIATED PRESS
BYU not only thumped Texas out of the AP Top 25, but its huge offensive effort left the Longhorns defensive coordinator out on the street.
Following one of the worst Texas defensive performances in school history, head coach Mack Brown fired his defense coordinator Manny Diaz.
The Cougars rushed for an unbelievable 550 yards in their Saturday 40-21 victory over Texas. Quarterback Taysom Hill had a game-high 259 rushing yards, and running back Jamaal Williams was right behind him with 182 yards. The Texas defense allowed nearly eight yards per rush.
Brown knew the defense fielded Saturday would only lead to another underachieving year, which led to his ultimate decision.
“Our performance on defense last night was unacceptable, and we need to change that,” Brown told the Associated Press.
Brown hired Diaz as Longhorns defensive coordinator in 2010, when Will Muschamp accepted a head coaching position at Florida, with hopes he would be a positive change to the program's defense, according to the Associated Press report.
Brown expressed enthusiasm at that time for Diaz's ideas and energy. Three years later, Diaz failed to make effective changes in the Texas defense, hence the 40-21 loss and Diaz's reassignment.
Now the Texas head coach is facing the heat, and ESPN's Mark Schlabach said Brown could be out as fast as Diaz if he doesn't get the program's defensive struggles worked out soon.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 126
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 80
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 71
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 62
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 31