BYU's Texas thumping leads to firing of Longhorns defensive coordinator Manny Diaz
Michael Thomas, ASSOCIATED PRESS
BYU not only thumped Texas out of the AP Top 25, but its huge offensive effort left the Longhorns defensive coordinator out on the street.
Following one of the worst Texas defensive performances in school history, head coach Mack Brown fired his defense coordinator Manny Diaz.
The Cougars rushed for an unbelievable 550 yards in their Saturday 40-21 victory over Texas. Quarterback Taysom Hill had a game-high 259 rushing yards, and running back Jamaal Williams was right behind him with 182 yards. The Texas defense allowed nearly eight yards per rush.
Brown knew the defense fielded Saturday would only lead to another underachieving year, which led to his ultimate decision.
“Our performance on defense last night was unacceptable, and we need to change that,” Brown told the Associated Press.
Brown hired Diaz as Longhorns defensive coordinator in 2010, when Will Muschamp accepted a head coaching position at Florida, with hopes he would be a positive change to the program's defense, according to the Associated Press report.
Brown expressed enthusiasm at that time for Diaz's ideas and energy. Three years later, Diaz failed to make effective changes in the Texas defense, hence the 40-21 loss and Diaz's reassignment.
Now the Texas head coach is facing the heat, and ESPN's Mark Schlabach said Brown could be out as fast as Diaz if he doesn't get the program's defensive struggles worked out soon.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- Stafford throws 5 TDs, BYU alum Ansah picks...
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the finale...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Utah State nose guard David Moala has helped...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 58
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 50
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 28