BYU's Texas thumping leads to firing of Longhorns defensive coordinator Manny Diaz
Michael Thomas, ASSOCIATED PRESS
BYU not only thumped Texas out of the AP Top 25, but its huge offensive effort left the Longhorns defensive coordinator out on the street.
Following one of the worst Texas defensive performances in school history, head coach Mack Brown fired his defense coordinator Manny Diaz.
The Cougars rushed for an unbelievable 550 yards in their Saturday 40-21 victory over Texas. Quarterback Taysom Hill had a game-high 259 rushing yards, and running back Jamaal Williams was right behind him with 182 yards. The Texas defense allowed nearly eight yards per rush.
Brown knew the defense fielded Saturday would only lead to another underachieving year, which led to his ultimate decision.
“Our performance on defense last night was unacceptable, and we need to change that,” Brown told the Associated Press.
Brown hired Diaz as Longhorns defensive coordinator in 2010, when Will Muschamp accepted a head coaching position at Florida, with hopes he would be a positive change to the program's defense, according to the Associated Press report.
Brown expressed enthusiasm at that time for Diaz's ideas and energy. Three years later, Diaz failed to make effective changes in the Texas defense, hence the 40-21 loss and Diaz's reassignment.
Now the Texas head coach is facing the heat, and ESPN's Mark Schlabach said Brown could be out as fast as Diaz if he doesn't get the program's defensive struggles worked out soon.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 19