Re-ranking the college football teams: BYU and USU make big jumps
Kent Nishimura, AP
What a difference a week can make for college football teams. It is commonly known that teams make the most progress from week one to week two. Looking at how the local in-state teams fared this past weekend, this axiom held true.
However, not every team was making progress, as is evident with the performances of Texas, USC, Notre Dame and Florida. So where do teams stand after week two of the college football season?
After seven days of many upsets and disappointments, Paul Myerberg, a writer for USA Today Sports, re-ranked all the college football teams. BYU as well as Utah State were both top movers, moving up 13 and 14 spots to nos. 33 and 52, respectively.
BYU dominated No. 15 Texas in convincing fashion with a 40-21 win. BYU set a school record with 550 rushing yards, the most Texas has ever given up. After the game Texas coach Mack Brown hinted changes were coming. They came quickly: the very next day defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was fired.
BYU’s performance was very impressive, particularly considering the Cougars' loss of their season-opening game against Virginia.
Utah State also impressed as it played in its first Mountain West Conference game since joining the league. Utah State crushed Air Force 52-20 behind Chuckie Keeton’s five touchdown passes, which tied his own school record.
Keeton talked about the win, saying, “It's a great feeling, first of all, to get Coach Wells' first win, and knowing it's our first Mountain West win is incredible as well. We're extremely happy, especially coming off the loss (to rival Utah) last week. So this is a lot of momentum that we needed. It's going to be a fun season.”
While Utah did not make any splash in the poll, the Utes continue to show how hungry they are to make a bowl game this season. After thrashing Weber State 70-7 the Utes find themselves undefeated heading into week three of the college football season. They will look to keep their unbeaten streak alive as they start PAC-12 play against Oregon State on Saturday.
To read more about the re-ranking, visit usatoday.com.
Justin Giles is a recent graduate of the University of Utah. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 63
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 45
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 16
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8