USU football: Zach Vigil named College Sports Madness' Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week
Ravell Call, Deseret News
LOGAN – Utah State’s Zach Vigil was named College Sports Madness’ Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week following Utah State’s 52-20 conference win at Air Force last weekend.
It is the first time this year that an Aggie has been honored by College Sports Madness.
Vigil, a 6-foot-2, 232-pound junior linebacker from Clearfield, Utah (Clearfield HS), recorded nine tackles (5-solo, 4-assist), including 1.5 tackles for loss, against Air Force. He also forced a fumble on the Falcons’ first offensive play of the game that lead to USU’s second touchdown in the first 4:43 of the contest.
In all, Vigil and the Aggies defense limited Air Force to just 162 rushing yards, which are the fewest rushing yards for the AFA since 2009, and one rushing touchdown.
On the season, Vigil ranks second on the team, ninth in the Mountain West and 53rd in the nation with 9.5 tackles per game. He also ranks first in the MW and tied for third nationally forcing 1.0 fumbles per game.
Utah State is 1-1 on the season and 1-0 in conference play. This week, USU begins its home season by hosting Weber State (1-1) in its annual Homecoming game on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 6 p.m. USU has won eight straight home games and 17 of its last 21 games overall.
For USU football ticket information, contact the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305. Tickets can also be purchased 24 hours a day on USU's website.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7