USU football: Zach Vigil named College Sports Madness' Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week
Ravell Call, Deseret News
LOGAN – Utah State’s Zach Vigil was named College Sports Madness’ Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week following Utah State’s 52-20 conference win at Air Force last weekend.
It is the first time this year that an Aggie has been honored by College Sports Madness.
Vigil, a 6-foot-2, 232-pound junior linebacker from Clearfield, Utah (Clearfield HS), recorded nine tackles (5-solo, 4-assist), including 1.5 tackles for loss, against Air Force. He also forced a fumble on the Falcons’ first offensive play of the game that lead to USU’s second touchdown in the first 4:43 of the contest.
In all, Vigil and the Aggies defense limited Air Force to just 162 rushing yards, which are the fewest rushing yards for the AFA since 2009, and one rushing touchdown.
On the season, Vigil ranks second on the team, ninth in the Mountain West and 53rd in the nation with 9.5 tackles per game. He also ranks first in the MW and tied for third nationally forcing 1.0 fumbles per game.
Utah State is 1-1 on the season and 1-0 in conference play. This week, USU begins its home season by hosting Weber State (1-1) in its annual Homecoming game on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 6 p.m. USU has won eight straight home games and 17 of its last 21 games overall.
For USU football ticket information, contact the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305. Tickets can also be purchased 24 hours a day on USU's website.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 43
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 39
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6