Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BELLEVUE, Wash. — Zelmo Beaty, who led the Utah Stars to the state’s only professional basketball championship in 1971, has passed away at the age of 73.
Beaty, known as “The Big Z,” was named Most Valuable Player of the American Basketball Association finals that year. The Stars defeated the Kentucky Colonels in seven games to win the title, clinching the championship with a 131-121 victory in the Salt Palace on May 18, 1971.
Beaty had 36 points and 16 rebounds in the final game and was carried off the floor by celebrating fans along with teammate Willie Wise.
In 2001, on the 30th anniversary of the accomplishment, Beaty reflected on how special it was.
"That championship means everything to me. We had such great fans and support,” Beaty told the Deseret News. “When they carried Willie Wise and me off the court after we won the championship game with Kentucky, it was breathtaking for me. I had never had anything like that happened to me before, and I never did again."
Beaty, a 6-foot-9 center from Prairie View A&M, played for the Stars from 1970-74, averaging 19.1 points and 11.6 rebounds.
Prior to signing with the ABA, Beaty was a first-round draft pick of the St. Louis Hawks and played for the organization from 1962-69. He was forced to sit out a season when switching leagues. After his stint in Utah, Beaty played one season for the Los Angeles Lakers.
With more than 889 professional games, Beaty averaged 17.1 points and 10.9 rebounds.
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- 5A state swimming: Sky View girls surprise...
- Can Cougars sweep their first WCC road trip...
- Hood earns bragging rights over Lyles and...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38