Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BELLEVUE, Wash. — Zelmo Beaty, who led the Utah Stars to the state’s only professional basketball championship in 1971, has passed away at the age of 73.
Beaty, known as “The Big Z,” was named Most Valuable Player of the American Basketball Association finals that year. The Stars defeated the Kentucky Colonels in seven games to win the title, clinching the championship with a 131-121 victory in the Salt Palace on May 18, 1971.
Beaty had 36 points and 16 rebounds in the final game and was carried off the floor by celebrating fans along with teammate Willie Wise.
In 2001, on the 30th anniversary of the accomplishment, Beaty reflected on how special it was.
"That championship means everything to me. We had such great fans and support,” Beaty told the Deseret News. “When they carried Willie Wise and me off the court after we won the championship game with Kentucky, it was breathtaking for me. I had never had anything like that happened to me before, and I never did again."
Beaty, a 6-foot-9 center from Prairie View A&M, played for the Stars from 1970-74, averaging 19.1 points and 11.6 rebounds.
Prior to signing with the ABA, Beaty was a first-round draft pick of the St. Louis Hawks and played for the organization from 1962-69. He was forced to sit out a season when switching leagues. After his stint in Utah, Beaty played one season for the Los Angeles Lakers.
With more than 889 professional games, Beaty averaged 17.1 points and 10.9 rebounds.
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 189
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 90
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50