BYU, Utah, USU produce most offensive day in history, and other tidbits about week two
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Saturday had to be the most offensive day in the history of college football in the state. And we're not talking about how Weber State felt about all those touchdowns Utah piled on them.
The state’s Big Three of BYU, Utah and Utah State scored 162 points and piled up 1,884 yards in three impressive victories. To put it in context, that’s an average of 54 points and 628 yards per team.
Most impressive was BYU’s 40-21 win over No. 15 Texas. Taysom Hill was the real deal as a runner with his 259-yard performance, one of the best the state has ever seen, especially considering it came against a national-ranked opponent. With that kind of running, it was easy to ignore another sub-par passing day (9 of 26 completions).
Utah’s Travis Wilson also showed off his running ability with three carries for 93 yards. His 31 yards a carry topped Hill’s impressive 15.2 yards per carry, but that was due to TD runs of 51 and 38 yards and not getting any more carries as he sat out the entire second half. Wilson also passed for 264 yards in his half of play.
Chuckie Keeton did it with his feet and his arm in a blowout over Air Force, something Utah and BYU rarely if ever did in Colorado Springs. Keeton completed 32 of 40 passes for 360 yards and ran for 77 yards. For the season, Keeton has completed 63 of 80 passes for 674 yards and seven touchdowns on the year.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Morning links: Urban Meyer returns to Utah...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 56
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 32
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21