While BYU was running over the Longhorns, Jake Heaps had himself a decent debut in Kansas
Orlin Wagner, Associated Press
BYU played a fantastic game on Saturday night to beat the Texas Longhorns by a score of 40-21 behind the legs of sophomore starting quarterback Taysom Hill.
A few years ago, Cougar fans anticipated that BYU would win games like this because of great quarterback performance. The only difference is that the number nine would have been the one under center making all the big plays.
No college football fan in Utah can forget the press conference held at Iggy’s more than four years ago. That day, the Cougars landed three huge commits, led by quarterback Jake Heaps. He was seen as the next great signal caller for a university known for its quarterback play.
As we all know, things didn’t turn out as planned.
Fast-forward 21 months, and Heaps is again a starting quarterback. Heaps made his first start as a member of the Charlie Weis-led Kansas Jayhawks against FCS foe South Dakota.
Heaps showed some rust early, failing to complete his first five passes. He took a couple of early sacks as the Jayhawks fell behind the South Dakota Coyotes late in the first quarter.
The Jayhawks found their form soon after and didn’t look back.
Heaps completed two passes for more than 20 yards each as the Jayhawks marched 75 yards to score their first touchdown of the season on a one-yard run by James Sims. Heaps threw the first touchdown of his Jayhawks career three drives later, completing a five-yard laser to wide receiver Justin McCay. That gave the Jayhawks a 14 to 7 lead going into halftime.
Heaps wasn’t asked to throw much in the second half as the Kansas rushing attack took over. The Jayhawks cruised to a 31-14 victory in their season opener, Heaps completing 10 of 20 passes for 110 yards and one touchdown.
Though his stats shouldn't blow anyone away, Heaps played well and looked under control as the Jayhawks matched their win total from a season ago after just one game.
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Season-ending victory hurts Utah Jazz's...
- Jabari to the Jazz? Fans react to Parker's...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 64
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 55
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 51
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 47
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 39
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24