UVU golf: Wolverine men's golf set for Itani Quality Homes Collegiate
OREM — Fresh off a season-opening second-place finish at the Battle in the Tetons, the Utah Valley University men's golf team tees it up again Monday at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate in Pullman, Wash.
The two-day tournament features 36 holes on Monday and a final 18 on Tuesday. Each day is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. MT.
UVU continued its recent run of success at the Battle in the Tetons, grabbing its third consecutive top-3 finish at the event. The Wolverines, winners of the 2011 tournament, held the outright lead after day one but were nipped on the final day by Wyoming as the Cowboys won their second straight Battle. UVU's 54-hole total of 862 was the fourth-best mark in program history.
Junior Brayden Eriksen was the Wolverines' top finisher, missing the individual title by just two strokes. It was the second runner-up finish for Eriksen in his career and the first since his true freshman season.
Eriksen, Eccles and Richards will again lead UVU into the 7,308 yard, par-70 Palouse Ridge Golf Club this week, along with senior Stratton Schulz and sophomore Clark Fredrickson. Schulz and Fredrickson tied for 14th last week, with the latter also carding the tournament's low score for an unattached golfer. Wolverine sophomore Noah Cook, who finished in a tie for 29th at the Tetons, will also compete at the Collegiate.
"The team is coming off a very strong finish last week," head coach Chris Curran said. "They are playing with a lot of confidence right now and are looking forward to a tournament with a lot of solid competition."
In Pullman, Utah Valley will face 11 other schools in the field: Boise State, British Columbia, Cal State Fullerton, Chico State, Gonzaga, Idaho, Sacramento State, San Jose State, Santa Clara, Seattle and host Washington State. WSU claimed the tournament title last season while UVU placed 11th.
Live scoring is available during the tournament on Golftstat's website, and tournament results will be posted each day on UVU's athletic website.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43