Westminster volleyball: Griffins finish second after 1-1 Day Two
LIVONIA, Mich. – For the second time this season the Westminster College women’s volleyball team took second place in a weekend tournament. Westminster split two matches on Saturday at the Julie Martin Memorial Classic to finish the weekend at 3-1 and the runner-up of the two-day event.
The Griffins (6-7) began the day with a (25-22, 25-20, 25-18) sweep of Illinois Tech for just the second 3-0 win of the season. Westminster had a 40-24 edge in kills and used nine blocks to limit Illinois Tech (5-7) to just .100 hitting. The Griffins also notched four service aces and 55 digs in the win.
Mayra Ramirez finished with a team-best nine kills while hitting .533 for the match. The junior also picked up three blocks and two digs. Andrea Christensen added seven kills and a career-best five blocks. Emily Atkinson had 34 assists while Kyndall Kordakis contributed 21 digs.
The early win set up a showdown with 11th-ranked Madonna (Mich.) for the tournament title in the finale. The tournament host proved to be too much as Madonna (13-0) swept the Griffins (25-7, 26-16, 25-20) to remain perfect on the season. Madonna limited Westminster to just 18 kills and forced it into a negative hitting efficiency (-.085).
Alyse Horton topped all Griffins with her five kills. Jovana Sisovic added four kills, as those were the only two players with a positive hitting efficiency in the match. Atkinson finished with 15 assists, and Kordakis had nine digs.
Ramirez was named to the all-tournament team as the lone representative from Westminster. She had 26 kills and 12 blocks over the two days while hitting .231.
The Griffins will now turn their attention to Frontier Conference play. The open league play Friday with a trip to Dillon, Mont., to face Montana Western at 7 p.m. in Straugh Gymnasium.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19