Texas regained the lead, 14-10, on a 2-yard run by Joe Bergeron in the second quarter, but that advantage was short-lived as the Cougars responded again.
A roughing-the-punter penalty on the Longhorns gave the BYU offense new life, and Hill capped a 75-yard drive with a 20-yard scamper to give the Cougars a lead they would not relinquish, 17-14.
BYU scored on its next two possessions before halftime — a 10-yard run by Lasike on a drive highlighted by a 36-yard run by Williams, and a 32-yard field goal by Sorensen.
At intermission, the Cougars found themselves ahead, 27-14, and in control of the game.
BYU opened the second half with another Hill touchdown run, this time for 26 yards.
Texas managed to keep things close as Ash connected with Davis for a 23-yard TD, but the Longhorns still had no answer for BYU’s run game.
Sorensen drilled two more field goals, from 36 yards and 23 yards, on the Cougars’ ensuing drives and took a 40-21 lead into the fourth quarter.
By then, BYU had already racked up 485 rushing yards.
The Cougars have a bye next Saturday, then host Utah on Sept. 21.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 80
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 69
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34