Westminster volleyball: Griffins rally for 2-0 day at Julie Martin Memorial Classic
LIVONIA, Mich. – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team claimed two wins Friday during the first day of the Julie Martin Memorial Classic hosted by Madonna (Mich.) University. Westminster began the day with a four set victory over Roosevelt (Ill.) before rallying from two sets down to knock off Davenport (Mich.) in five sets.
The Griffins snapped a six-match losing streak with a (25-18, 20-25, 25-12, 25-7) victory over Roosevelt (6-2) in their first match of the day. Westminster hit .220 in the match while holding Roosevelt to .023 in their second consecutive match. The Griffins had a 44-31 edge in kills while also picking up 8.5 blocks in moving to 4-6 on the season.
Alexis Aalona led the offense with nine kills, and the junior hit .318 for the match. Her 14 digs had her among three Griffins that reached double figures in that category. Alyse Horton added seven kills in three sets off the bench. Emily Atkinson had 28 assists and 14 digs for a double-double with Kyndall Kordakis racking up 15 digs.
Westminster then fell behind two sets to Davenport (6-5) before coming back for the (20-25, 20-25, 25-21, 25-19, 17-15) victory. It was the first time all season that the team had rallied from two sets down for a win and got there by hitting .204 in the match with 55 kills.
Aalona posted a team-high 13 kills while Mayra Ramirez went for 11 kills and a .3080 hitting efficiency and three blocks. Horton and Mandy Taft added six kills apiece off the bench with Andrea Christensen getting five kills. Atkinson finished with 46 assists and four service aces. Kordakis posted 25 digs as the team moved to 5-6 overall.
Westminster will look to continue this strong play Saturday with matches against Illinois Tech at 9:30 a.m. and No. 11 Madonna at 11:30 a.m.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45