Westminster soccer: Tucker wins it for the Griffins in the 89th minute
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women’s soccer team snapped its three-game losing streak with a 1-0 win over Oregon Tech on Friday afternoon at Dumke Field.
Westminster (2-3) controlled the action for most of the game, but it didn’t break through until the 89th minute. That is when Lexi Tucker found the ball on her foot in a crowded penalty area and lifted a shot that went over the head of the keeper and then bounced off the turf into the net.
The Griffins finished the evening with a 22-5 advantage in shots taken and put 12 on goal. Oregon Tech (2-2) put two of their shots on goal and took four corner kicks.
Jessica Harris and Carissa Cooper each got off four shots with three on goal. Tucker also attempted four shots with two on goal, including her first career goal. The 22 shots by the team is a season high and the second team they have taken at least 20 shots in a game this season.
Jamie Wilkinson picked up her second win and shutout of the year with two saves.
Westminster will look to sweep the weekend home stand on Sunday when it faces Midland (Neb.) at 11 a.m.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34