Book review: 'Raspberries and Relevance' is a testament to LDS women
"RASPBERRIES AND RELEVANCE: Celebrating Sisterhood in the Real World,” compiled by Linda Hoffman Kimball, $10.99, 128 pages (nf)
“Raspberries and Relevance: Celebrating Sisterhood in the Real World,” compiled by Linda Hoffman Kimball, is a collection of experiences, recollections and ideas women have had in Relief Society.
“Raspberries and Relevance” is a testament to Mormon women and the great things they can accomplish. Kimball focuses her book on three concepts; the Atonement, our covenants with Heavenly Father and our unity as children of God.
In her book, Kimball celebrates the ways women have met together — either in church meetings, enrichment, or service projects. The stories portray a group of loving and unified women.
One of the experiences that stands out is told by Alyson Beytien. She tells of an enrichment activity that took place while she was in the Relief Society presidency. The activity was led by two women who have struggled with depression and other disorders. The women talked about their experiences, shared where to get help, and how they can support those who are suffering from these disorders. Beytien describes an environment free of judgment.
Marci McPhee describes an activity where the sisters in her ward crocheted afghans for foster children. McPhee said the idea came from a young woman who had such sincerity it brought tears to her eyes.
Not only does “Raspberries and Relevance” have inspiring stories, it has excellent ideas for those in charge of Relief Society activities. Kimball gives ideas for mini-classes to have during an activity. She suggests short classes on women’s health, domestic skills, family history and technology.
Kimball is an LDS author who splits her time between Illinois and Utah. She loves to create LDS forums for women to discuss ideas.
“Raspberries and Relevance” is a poignant book for women in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's degree in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- Story of LDS man who forgave drunk driver for...
- Jentrie's Journey: Mormon mom of 3 battles...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- LDS missionaries reunite man with his lost...
- Woman discusses pornography addiction in new...
- Senate panel endorses anti-discrimination,...
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning home...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- Why I make my kids go to church 56
- Defending the Faith: Exploring... 51
- Netanyahu speech deepens rift between... 29
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning... 15
- K2 The Church's grand opening a... 12
- Senate panel endorses... 9
- Elder Holland discusses religious... 8
- Woman discusses pornography addiction... 8