Q&A: Evangelical leader Richard Land shares views on LDS Church, threats to religious liberty, other issues
A lot of young people have been driven away by what they perceive as hypocrisy in the church, and there is a lot of it. In the evangelical community, I think we are dealing with a capitulation when it comes to divorce. When we get divorced at the same rate as the general population, and we do, we've told our young people one thing and we have lived something else. ... I think a lot of our young people, especially those who had their parents divorce, say, “You say one thing but you do something else, so how important can it be?” ... The greatest advantage an American child can have today is to be born into a home with a mother and a father who are married to each other and who stay married to each other. It trumps race, it trumps ethnicity, it trumps religion ... it trumps everything.
DN: As president of Southern Evangelical Seminary, training a new generation of pastors, how do you view the future?
Land: When I go to seminary campuses like mine, I always come away encouraged because the people who are in seminary today are far more dedicated, far more sold out to their faith than I was. When I was in seminary most of the guys wanted to build a great church for Jesus. These guys want to go start a mission in Hell’s Kitchen; they are Green Berets. ...
I have been asked, have we lost the culture wars? I would say, no. We are losing, but we haven’t lost. But we will lose unless there is a nationwide spiritual revival, which I think could very well happen. We are at a point in our culture where we are so bad off that everyone knows something's got to change, but not so bad off that it implodes from its own corruption. And we are in that window of opportunity. I am talking about a significant return to faith on the part of millions of Americans.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @deseretbrown
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2