Sen. Ted Cruz coming to Utah to raise money for Sen. Mike Lee
Justin Hayworth, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, considered a contender in the race for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016, is coming to Utah next week to speak at a fundraiser for Utah Sen. Mike Lee.
Tickets to the Friday event are $2,000, Lee spokesman Brian Phillips said.
Cruz and Lee will meet with Gov. Gary Herbert "to discuss the 'Utah Model,' the issue of federalism and how states can work with the federal government on issues," Phillips said.
Lee was an early supporter of Cruz, elected last year. Now, as Lee's efforts to win re-election in 2016 have been gearing up with series of fundraising emails, Cruz is returning the favor.
Lee, Cruz and other conservative GOP senators aligned with the tea party often band together on issues. Currently, they are attempting to halt funding for the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare.
A fundraising email sent Thursday by Lee warns his supporters "we are outmatched in this fight" and urges them to contribute right away "to make sure I'm prepared to take advantage of any opportunity I come across."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Charges: Man set fire to sister's Salt Lake...
- How you can be trained to recognize signs of...
- Charges: Group of 3 held man and woman...
- Zion National Park to hold public meetings on...
- National Guard trains in Denver to respond to...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 15
- National conservative group backs... 14