Sen. Ted Cruz coming to Utah to raise money for Sen. Mike Lee
Justin Hayworth, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, considered a contender in the race for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016, is coming to Utah next week to speak at a fundraiser for Utah Sen. Mike Lee.
Tickets to the Friday event are $2,000, Lee spokesman Brian Phillips said.
Cruz and Lee will meet with Gov. Gary Herbert "to discuss the 'Utah Model,' the issue of federalism and how states can work with the federal government on issues," Phillips said.
Lee was an early supporter of Cruz, elected last year. Now, as Lee's efforts to win re-election in 2016 have been gearing up with series of fundraising emails, Cruz is returning the favor.
Lee, Cruz and other conservative GOP senators aligned with the tea party often band together on issues. Currently, they are attempting to halt funding for the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare.
A fundraising email sent Thursday by Lee warns his supporters "we are outmatched in this fight" and urges them to contribute right away "to make sure I'm prepared to take advantage of any opportunity I come across."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah
- Second student sues district over teacher's...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Slain Brigham City mom remembered as loving,...
- Clearfield man intentionally punched woman...
- The startling projections of a quake in Salt...
- LDS Church, other religions urge... 102
- Married lesbian couple sues Utah to be... 65
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 22
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 21
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20