Sen. Ted Cruz coming to Utah to raise money for Sen. Mike Lee
Justin Hayworth, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, considered a contender in the race for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016, is coming to Utah next week to speak at a fundraiser for Utah Sen. Mike Lee.
Tickets to the Friday event are $2,000, Lee spokesman Brian Phillips said.
Cruz and Lee will meet with Gov. Gary Herbert "to discuss the 'Utah Model,' the issue of federalism and how states can work with the federal government on issues," Phillips said.
Lee was an early supporter of Cruz, elected last year. Now, as Lee's efforts to win re-election in 2016 have been gearing up with series of fundraising emails, Cruz is returning the favor.
Lee, Cruz and other conservative GOP senators aligned with the tea party often band together on issues. Currently, they are attempting to halt funding for the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare.
A fundraising email sent Thursday by Lee warns his supporters "we are outmatched in this fight" and urges them to contribute right away "to make sure I'm prepared to take advantage of any opportunity I come across."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version 2.0,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 39
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 23
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 17
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14