Book review: 'Cool Creations' shares what to do with just 35 Legos
Sean Kenney used more than 259,450 Legos to create the 32 animal sculptures that are on display in the Hogle Zoo’s “Creatures of Habitat: A Gazillion-Piece Animal Adventure.”
The exhibit includes a polar bear (which took more than 95,000 plastic bricks, according to the Hogle Zoo’s website), penguins, turtles, gorillas and frogs and highlights nine endangered species.
Kenney, a Lego-certified professional, can also work with fewer bricks on a much smaller scale.
He took 35 common Lego pieces and made 75 different creations, from robots and aliens to animals and household items.
There isn’t any need for one-of-a-kind special pieces, and if a kid has a few Lego sets, it’s quite likely these Legos are already available.
Kenney has labeled or named each creation, like the Tugalug spacecraft, Vinnie J. Hoverhauler transforming robot and the Racoonduck on the “Nutty Animals” page.
There are complete instructions for several of the more complicated creations, and all are clearly photographed to see how to re-create them. Kenney helps spark the imagination of what is possible with only a few Legos.
“Cool Creations in 35 Pieces,” which will be released Sept. 10, is simple, and it’s fun to see how many different things can be created with a few common pieces. It's a clean, age-appropriate book.
And Kenney expects many more “crazier contraptions” can be made with the same 35 pieces and asks that photos be uploaded to www.mocpages.com/35.php
If you go
What: Sean Kenney book signing
When: Thursday, Sept. 12, 4 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase a copy of "Cool Creations in 35 Pieces" from The King's English.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Utahn Sierra Dawn Thomas reflects on...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you must do...
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- Nothing else they would rather do: Couple has...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 165
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- Arianne Brown: Pretty girls can too... 5
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may... 4
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 4
- The most popular boy names from 1960 to... 2