ROCKFORD, Idaho — Elder Taylor Shane Ward, 19, an LDS missionary from Vacaville, Calif., has died from his injuries sustained Tuesday in an automobile accident near Pocatello, Idaho.
Members of the missionary's family had traveled from California to be with him, and they were there at the time of his death, church officials said.
Elder Ward was a passenger in a car driven by his missionary companion, Elder John Floyd, of Deep Run, N.C. Police reports indicate that the passenger side of the missionaries' car was hit by a pickup truck when the missionaries' car failed to yield at a stop sign.
The two missionaries were serving in the LDS Church's Idaho Pocatello Mission. Elder Ward had only been in the mission since July.
"Every member of the church feels the loss of a missionary," said Ruth Todd, spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "We are deeply saddened, and share with his family, friends and fellow missionaries in their grief. We extend to them our love, our prayers and our deepest sympathy."
The date, time and location of funeral services are pending.
LDS Church officials made the announcement Friday, noting doctors pronounced Elder Ward dead on Wednesday night when there was no sign of brain activity.
Elder Ward is one of 10 LDS missionaries who have died this year, a fact noted late Wednesday in a release issued by the church's Missionary Department.
“For the church and particularly for the families of these missionaries who have lost their lives we know that the loss of even one missionary is far too many," said Elder David F. Evans, executive director of the Missionary Department. “To these remarkable families we extend our love, our faith, our hope and our prayers. And we pray that peace and comfort will be yours during these times of sorrow."
Elder Evans also noted that, gratefully, these occurrences are rare, and missionary work is inherently safe. The mortality rate for missionaries is significantly less than those in their same age group in the general population.
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 5
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 5
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 4
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3