USU golf: Aggies continue fall season at Air Force hosted Falcon Invitational
LOGAN - Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its fall schedule this weekend at the 45th annual Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational hosted by the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo.
The 54-hole tournament, which will be played on the Blue Course at the Eisenhower Golf Club, gets underway Sunday, Sept. 8 at 8:15 a.m. The tournament consists of two rounds on Sunday and a final round Monday that starts at 7:30 a.m.
Sixteen teams are scheduled to compete in this weekend's tournament, including Air Force, Air Force JV, Colorado, Colorado State, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico State, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, UMKC, Utah, Utah State, UTEP, Weber State, Wichita State and Wyoming.
Scheduled to compete for the Aggies are senior Tanner Higham (Shelley, Idaho), junior Grahm Schmaltz (Kalispell, Mont.), sophomores Brennan Coburn (Layton, Utah) and Seokwon Jeon (Salt Lake City, Utah), and freshman Eli Rogers (Hamilton, Mont.).
Utah State began its 2013 season with a fourth-place finish out of eight teams at the Weber State hosted Battle in the Tetons with a 16-over 880 (310-286-284). Higham was USU’s top finisher at the event as he tied for sixth place with an even par 216 (75-73-68). Higham's 4-under 68 during his final round was tied for the second-best round of his career as he has now finished a tournament in the top-10 six times in his Aggie career.
Jeon also played well for Utah State at the Battle in the Tetons last week as he carded his best-ever collegiate finish tying for 10th with a 1-over 217 (75-70-72), which is his career-low 54-hole score. Rogers finished the tournament tied for 22nd at 7-over 223 (82-70-71, and Schmaltz also tied for 42nd place at 20-over 236 (90-73-73).
Utah State finished eighth out of 16 teams at last year’s Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational with a 19-over 883 (299-297-287). Higham was USU’s top finisher a year ago as he recorded his best-ever collegiate finish after shooting a 6-under 210 (70-70-70) to place second individually. Jeon also competed at last year’s event and tied for 49th with a 9-over 225 (79-73-73).
Live scoring will be available on Golfstat's website, and daily results will be available on USU's website.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 37
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28