SANDY — The Canyons Board of Education on Tuesday introduced its new 10-member Student Advisory Council.
The council is composed of two students from each high school — one student body officer and one student, a junior or senior — selected as part of an application process. Council representatives will attend the board’s semi-monthly meetings, discuss issues facing the board, and provide input to the board from a student’s perspective.
“You will make a difference,” board President Sherril Taylor said in thanking the students for taking part in the inaugural panel. “You are leading out on something new. It’s very important what you’re doing, and we the Board are looking forward to your input and we will take it seriously when you give it to us.”
Members of the district's first Student Advisory Council, chaired by founder and Alta student Katrina Jones, are Kaitlyn Larsen and Rocky Evans, from Alta High; Richard Wright and Courtney Crist, from Brighton High; Erica Johnson and Annelise Preite, from Corner Canyon High; Olivia Marz and Ashlie Miller, from Jordan High; and Shelby Brey and Naveen Rathi, from Hillcrest High.
The council was created following a proposal from Jones, meetings of a task force and an Aug. 20 vote by the board. The task force included student leaders, Assistant Superintendent Kathryn McCarrie, Brighton Principal Charisse Hilton and Hillcrest Principal Sue Malone.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 25