SANDY — The Canyons Board of Education on Tuesday introduced its new 10-member Student Advisory Council.
The council is composed of two students from each high school — one student body officer and one student, a junior or senior — selected as part of an application process. Council representatives will attend the board’s semi-monthly meetings, discuss issues facing the board, and provide input to the board from a student’s perspective.
“You will make a difference,” board President Sherril Taylor said in thanking the students for taking part in the inaugural panel. “You are leading out on something new. It’s very important what you’re doing, and we the Board are looking forward to your input and we will take it seriously when you give it to us.”
Members of the district's first Student Advisory Council, chaired by founder and Alta student Katrina Jones, are Kaitlyn Larsen and Rocky Evans, from Alta High; Richard Wright and Courtney Crist, from Brighton High; Erica Johnson and Annelise Preite, from Corner Canyon High; Olivia Marz and Ashlie Miller, from Jordan High; and Shelby Brey and Naveen Rathi, from Hillcrest High.
The council was created following a proposal from Jones, meetings of a task force and an Aug. 20 vote by the board. The task force included student leaders, Assistant Superintendent Kathryn McCarrie, Brighton Principal Charisse Hilton and Hillcrest Principal Sue Malone.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 20
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14