SALT LAKE CITY — Fans of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” filled the main hall of the Salt Palace Convention Center on Thursday to hear from actor Nicholas Brendon during one of Salt Lake Comic Con’s first panels.
Brendon ran onto the stage to the crowd screaming and shouts of “Xander” — one of the main three characters of “Buffy,” who Brendon played.
Tayna Domer came from Centerville to attend the panel.
“I can’t even put it into words. I’m a huge fan of Buffy. I’ve seen every episode,” Domer said. “(Brendon is) like the everyman. He grounded Buffy.”
This was Brendon’s second visit to Utah, but he joked that it was the first. His previous trip ended in a skiing accident. Brendon explained that having grown up in Los Angeles, he had never skied before visiting Sundance several years ago.
“So yeah I have been in Utah before but it nearly killed me so maybe that’s why I forgot it," he said.
At the beginning of the question-and-answer session, Brendon paused and pulled out his phone.
“I’m going to take a picture of you guys real quick,” Brendon quipped. “No one’s going to believe this.”
Brendon answered questions from the audience about filming “Buffy,” working with Joss Whedon — who directed the series — and his current projects.
He answered several questions about his favorite episodes and seasons, including what the first season was like.
“I had never worked as an actor before. I couldn’t believe this was my job. It was just magical,” Brendon said. “I was just really sad when it ended. Season one, I was just pinching myself.”
One of the things Brendon said he missed was working with Whedon, who went on to direct 2012's blockbuster "The Avengers."
“Joss and I worked really well together. We just kind of read each other’s mind,” he recalled.
“Xander was Joss, and I was Xander. Ergo, I am Joss, “ he joked. “Kneel to your master.”
Whedon is known for his tendency to kill off favorite characters. One fan asked if Brendon was ever worried that Whedon would kill him off. Brendon said that while the main three characters — Buffy, Willow and Xander — would never be killed, Whedon was always contemplating new arcs and which characters might be killed.
“He was always thinking about how to break your heart. And give it back. And take it away,” he said. “Joss giveth and Joss taketh away.”
Currently, Brendon plays Kevin Lynch on the show “Criminal Minds.”
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: harmerk
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- Body found near Jordan River trail in Salt...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Wind-fueled fire rips through large Draper home
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 49
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 47
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 27
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 18
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Watchdog group accuses Utah lawmaker of... 15