Affleck’s casting was a huge surprise when it was announced a few weeks ago, but from Warner Bros.’ perspective, it makes perfect sense. The Academy Award-winning director was actually approached by Christopher Nolan to take the reins as director on “Man of Steel” back in 2010, but he declined, according to Collider.
Affleck’s name also came up when Warner Bros. wanted to move ahead on a Will Beall-scripted “Justice League” with plans to have it in theaters by 2015, according to screenrant.com.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, his involvement in the “Man of Steel” sequel could end up with him finally taking the director’s chair for “Justice League,” which will see Batman and Superman joined by other DC heavyweights like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash and Aquaman.
If rumors are to be believed, Warner Bros. is aiming for a 2017 release date with a possible Flash movie possibly hitting in 2016.
But “Justice League” isn’t the only DC teamup that might make it to the big screen. “Pacific Rim” and “Pan’s Labyrinth” director Guillermo del Toro is currently at work on a project called “Dark Universe” that would unite many of DC’s supernatural characters, including Swamp Thing, Etrigan the Demon and John Constantine (the same one from the Keanu Reeves movie) for a horror-tinged version of something like “The Avengers.”
When asked by MTV whether that movie would share continuity with “Man of Steel,” del Toro said, “I would love to see the DC Universe become as cohesive as the Marvel filmic universe. So if there’s any correlation, I will honor it.”
A native of Utah Valley and a devoted cinephile, Jeff Peterson is currently studying humanities and history at Brigham Young University.
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- Should you tell your spouse the little white...
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Character counts, but politics, gender... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4
- Is the 'friend zone' a bad thing? 4